In the fall of 1927, Leo G. Jones and George E. Reed purchased the building that housed the Hollywood Confectionery owned by Clayton Edwards. The new owners immediately closed the place for the purpose of remodeling and establishing a new drug store in that location. The Liberty Drug Store was adopted as the name of the new drug store. Jones and Reed were Carnegie products. They were young men who grew to manhood in Carnegie and believed that the “old home town” was one of the best in the state. Both are graduates of Carnegie High School. Before opening the Liberty, Jones had been employed at the Benward Drug Store since his discharge from the navy in 1919. Reed was connected with the Cavot Drug Company in Oklahoma City for a time after his graduation and also worked four years as a salesman for Paramount Pictures. Also located in the building was a jewelry store owned by I. E. Baird. Baird rented a space from Jones and Reed.
After marring Ruth Roddy in 1942, Leo Jones joined the war effort and sold his interest in the Liberty Drug Store in 1943 to Reed. He later was associated with the War Assets Administration in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. He also worked for the Internal Revenue Service as an excise tax specialist. Jones died in 1958.
After 23 years of successful operation and growth of the Liberty, George Reed sold the business in 1950 to C.E. Miller and L.G. Patrick. Reed went on to serve as the Farmers National Bank vice president in 1951. The Liberty Drug Store was managed by Patrick, while Miller continued to run his drug store in Weatherford. Patrick and Miller were both registered pharmacists.
In 1951, Glen V. Lindsey bought the Liberty Drug store. Lindsey was born in Wellston, Oklahoma and grew up in central Oklahoma. He married Lillian Skelton in 1921 and passed the pharmacy board in 1923. Previously, Lindsey had worked for the Crawford Drug Company in Tulsa and then 10 years in Seminole. He was a shriner, a member of the Carnegie Masonic Lodge, and the Methodist Church. His children were William R. Lindsey and Joan Lindsey Dickenson. Glen Lindsey died in 1954 and his wife sold the drug store to L.G. Baker.
L.G. Baker was a pharmacy graduate of the University of Oklahoma, class of 1948. He worked six years for the Rex Pharmacy in Waynoka. He and his wife Helen, daughter Gradye, and son Steve, lived on south park street when they first came to Carnegie.
A 1960 Carnegie High School graduate, Bill Anderson, bought the store in 1974 from L.G. Baker. Bill had graduated from Southwestern Oklahoma State University in 1966 and worked in pharmacies located in Texas and Oklahoma City before moving back to Carnegie. He also bought out the Dewey Adams Pharmacy and prescriptions. He and his wife Cathy sold the store in September of 1980 to Jerry Bennett.
Jerry and Mary Bennett owned a store in Mt. View at the time they purchased the Liberty. They remodeled the store and employed Janet Pirtle as pharmacist and manager from 1984 to 1987. Jerry then took over as pharmacist and continued running the store on a daily basis until August 1990. Jerry and Mary have three children, Martie, Mickie, and Todd.
In the summer of 1987, Brian Harrison was employed at Liberty Drug. He was accepted into the School of Pharmacy at Southwestern Oklahoma State University in the fall of 1987. He continued to work at the Liberty as a pharmacy intern until he graduated in May 1990. Brian took over the pharmacist position in August 1990. He continues working as pharmacist and manager. Brian and his wife Christi have three children, Kael, Kirk and Karsyn.
In 1995, Brian and Greg George purchased part ownership from Jerry Bennett and continued the operation of Liberty Drug at 11 West Main Street.
In 2005, Jerry, Brian and Greg bought the building next door with plans to renovate the old T. G. & Y. building. The renovation started in the fall of 2006 and was completed in April of 2008. The pharmacy was moved on April 12th and 13th and opened for business at 15 West Main Street on Monday April 14th.